Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Award Speech


With all the recent award shows, I started thinking about what would I say if I received an award? This all started when Denzel Washington received the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globes. When He took the stage he said he was speechless and He forgot his glasses. It was a great moment in History and he was overwhelmed with emotions. As he began to speak, He went back to the beginning. 

One of the greatest mistakes I think we make is forgetting the role people played in our lives. Whether they left your life right or wrong, you can see the role they played in making you who you are today. Looking back over my life, I can see all the people who helped me become the woman, mother and wife I am today. I may never be on a stage for the world to honor me nor do I have that desire, but here is my award speech in bullet points!

·  To Jesus Christ who is my Savior and Redeemer. I am who I am because You knew me before I was formed in my mother's womb. 
·  To James and Daisy Mckinnon! My Daddy and Mommy! You taught me love goes the distance! Thank you for always placing your children's needs ahead of your own and teaching us that it's not about being knocked down by life, it's about getting up again! 
·  To my Sisters Shelia, Natalie & Audrey- For the Love, support, car at graduation, and my college degree! I would not have been able to achieve my goal if it was not for you taking Tylyia as your own! 
·  To my big brother Rodney- I love you "stupid"!!! 
·  To my brother Mark - You act just like your daddy:) I love you! 
·  To my baby brother Justin, who was my best friend growing up! I love you so much! 
·  To Mrs. Bright my 2nd grade teacher who did not settle for anything less than the best! 
·  To Krystal Henley V. my sister from another mother, Louis Everette, the late Emmitt Holloway, Q and Phillip Johnson, Jamillia Smith & Crystal Matthews Mosley and my babies - Friendship is forever and you are always in my heart because of your friendship! 
·  Crystal Johnson and Chessie Allen! Meredith College! For believing in me and supporting me even when I was making all the wrong decisions. 
·  To Charley- For always speaking the truth to me. To being the first person I told I was pregnant and your love and support made me see this was going to change my life but I would have a testimony! 
·  To Sherry Walker my mother-in-law and pastor- For asking the question that changed my life "What do you want and how bad do you want it?" 
·  To Iris Triggs- For being a woman of God! For telling me YES you will have the child! For the love that brought me to the place of surrender. I would not have even been at the right place at God's time to hear the message that changed the course of my life if it was not for you! Thank you! 
·  To Keith- Thank you for Tylyia and thanks for being a good Dad to her. 
·  To Kizzie- you have always been more than a hair dresser. You were my best friend and I learned to have tough skin but a big heart from you! I love you and thank you for being my solid rock when life seemed to be falling apart! 
·  To the woman who thought me how to pray through everything, for your food stamps:), for Rock-and-Roll Cafe, for your fight, for my babies, for your laugh, for your love, for your support, & for putting up with me!  - Faith McRavion, my sister
·  To Deborah Medlin Hemby-Pink, candy corn, my nephew, your love and trusting me to be apart of your life when you returned from VA.
·  To Crystal "JA-REV" and Mauricia- For teaching me love endures! You are great mentees but most importantly you are my sisters!! I am so proud of you! 
·  To all the young ladies who have ever been apart of GUTS! (Sovereign, Anesha, Quanna, Britt, Ariel, Diamond, Key (cookie monster), Hannah (Keyaria) and the ladies from Shaw U to name a few)   Thank you! I learned a lot. I did not always get it right and I did not always say it right but I thank God for grace and for teaching me every step of the way! Remember you are called and chosen! I see some of you making moves and it's amazing to see the dreams and visions you spoke of coming to past! 
·  To Debbie Medlin- Who opened her house to me for the first GUTS meeting! Thank you for being in my life and allowing me to be apart of your family- I love the "Watkin/Medlin Bunch" (B -Watts!!) 
·  To Ann Surles- Words can not express my thankfulness for you! For opening your house to me for GUTS, for loving me and pushing me to keep going when I wanted to give up! For your friendship and for being my sister! For being there for me and Tylyia (Mary).  
·  To Gwen Vincent - For giving me the combo book "Power of a praying Woman, Mother and Wife." It changed my life! 
·  To Stephanie Knowlin - What can I say! Your are one of the most mature women I know. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for showing me how to stand when things are Hard and what forgiveness looks like. 
·  To Paula Grange - Thank you for listening when I needed biblical truth! "He loves me" 
·  To Tracie S. - I watched your faith manifest into 3 children in one year! Thank you for always reminding me what God has for me is for me and to keep trusting Him. His timing is perfect. Thank you for your friendship! 
·  To Charles Gordon, Pastor M. Bankhead (My big brother), Elder Tony Foster (my other big brother), Apostle Joy Allen, Pastors Russ and Bonnie, Poppa John and Ma Judy- Your lifestyle before the Father has changed me and you are a great examples for me  and others in the Body of Christ 
·  To Pastor Duncan and Kate Smith - My marriage! Thank you for marrying us and speaking life into our marriage.
·  To Karen Lassiter, Mrs. Lennon & Ma Sallie Carr- Prayer!!!! Thank you!!!! 
·  To  Tonya Joyner the greatest wedding planner! Thank you for your love, My 2nd mission trip to South Africa (paying the balance), and your faith has inspired me! 
·  To Carl Trice! Thank you for sowing into every mission trip I have been on!  
·  To Pastor John and Joy and my GCF family! This past year God has used you to breathe life into me, my marriage and our ministry. Thank you for your love, friendship, prayers, mentorship, and grace! (Mrs. Donna and my Titus 2 sisters- Thank you!) 
·  To Esther- for rebuking and showing me I do not wrestle with flesh and blood! I would not still be standing if it was not for your love, prayers and Truth. 
·  To my Ma Josie and Daddy Ron! Thank you! Your love is felt from miles away! 
·  To the Smith Family- My Aunts, Uncles and Cousins - Life just wouldn't be life if was not for the Gift Tommie and Dossie Smith gave us all. A family full of faith, endurance and love! 
·  To my GPF family- I love each of you and would not trade one moment. My greatest lessons in life have been learned through our family. I am so happy to be in a community of believers I can cry and laugh with!

The last two are my heart! I have saved the best for last.

  • Joshua, thank you for loving Tiffany and Tylyia. It was a package deal and you took on the calling! You are an amazing husband, father, friend, and man of GOD!
  • Tylyia, who I call Mary, you are a gift from God and you changed my life for the better! I love you both!

Take the time to look back and remember. It may even help you to walk in forgiveness. It's easy to keep rehearsing over and over again the disappointments. It's easy to allow one situation to cause to forget the heart of the people God has placed in your life. 

I may never be able to tell the world this on live TV but from my heart to yours......I say thank you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment